Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Doug's Soul Food

Sorry for the delay in posts. We’ll chalk it up to being busy and not caring so much. We went to Bloomington, IN which is a food mecca (best pizza at Mother Bear's and best coffee at Copper Cup) for a long weekend and then I was busy having surgery and with work and other things. Not sure how regularly I’ll be posting but thought another post was worthwhile. Sunday night I went back to the Dane for another Meatloaf grinder. Still excellent although the meatloaf portion was skimpy. Last night however we went to the new Doug’s Soul Food off of Fish Hatchery which serves up some down home southern cooking. Wasn’t sure what to expect but it all sounded good, on paper at least.

I ordered the pork spare ribs with sides of mac & cheese and french fries (not a big sweet potato or collard greens kind of guy.) Not good. The Mac & Cheese was ok, it was food service quality though and not homemade like I had hoped. The fries were the most basic boring fries ever and I am not sure if they fried them up or just warmed them up. Blah! The spare ribs? Rough and tough. I couldn’t eat them with a fork, I tried. I had to pick them up. The sauce was below average and the meat was overdone and not plentiful. Do not get these. I went with my in-laws and they didn’t like their food either (between us all we tried all the sides and my father in law had some not so good fried catfish.) The only salvageable part were the hushpuppies served with the meal which were good but not great. So not sure who is in to soul food but my guess is this isn’t the true soul good that Alabamians would love. Bummer. The staff was very nice and we enjoyed the visit, just not the food.

Not sure what is next on my food agenda. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing and you should only write when you feel like it, or if it's been a month or so.

    Thanks for the heads up on the newer restaurant in mad-town. I can't believe I didn't check this page sooner, I hate being the last one to know.

    ReplyDelete