Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2009 Year in Food!

My annual review of food is back and better than ever! In 2009 I dined out 303 times, up from 268 times last year. Also if you are into archives, here is how this has evolved a lot since 2006 and 2007.

This year was maybe the best year for eating. I ate at the 2007 and 2008 best places to eat locations at least twice each. I travelled way too much for work and stayed at a hotel without a kitchen or breakfast many times. My wife is pregnant so we’ve just been eating a lot. In 2009 we have a new champion. I only got to eat here once and it was kind of under the radar. 2009 was definitely the year of Man V Food as I personally visited 8 locations this year that were featured on the show in Chicago, Denver, Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Sarasota. And all were good and a few were even great. The single best meal I had in 2009 was actually breakfast…at Jack-N-Grill in Denver, CO. It’s something I had once, enjoyed at the time, missed it when we were done and have craved ever since. It can’t be replicated locally, even in a poor man’s version. I had breakfast tacos with meat, cheese, beans, salsa and the key ingredient, fire roasted green chilis.
The other finalists include:

2008 Winner, Bandit Burrito. Multiple trips to and through Iowa brought me here a few times. Des Moines is the geocaching epicenter of America and nothing is as good for a caching appetite like the world’s best burrito. Love it! The owner even recognized me from the Facebook fan page and sat with us and talked with us. Hoping Robert feels the need to expand about 4 hours northeast.
2007 Winner, Empire Burger. Located in Breckenridge, it’s one of the reasons that I request Breckenridge every summer (3 years running so far.) Best Nachos in the world and my 2nd favorite burger of all time made the Empire a go-to 3 times in the 6 days in Breck.

2007 Co-Winner, Mother Bear’s Pizza. One weekend in Bloomington, IN made 2 stops to this pizza institution necessary. And oh so good. Best pizza I’ve ever had and it isn’t even close.

Jethro’s BBQ in Des Moines. I’ve craved BBQ all year along, or at least until October. My mom cut out an article about legendary BBQ joints in the US and this one was on there. Now I crave Jethro’s BBQ. The best ribs hands-down, no contest. Awesome sides. Way too much food and variety I really wish this was closer.
Cherry Cricket in Denver. This was on Man V Food and we had extra time to head there as we made great time out to Denver (left in the morning and had supper at the Cricket.) Best new burger in 2009 and a top 5 burger overall.

Old Salty Dog in Sarasota. I made my parents drive us 2 hours each way to go to this place (and the beach) and it didn’t disappoint. The food was really good (I wouldn’t fully load my salty dog next time but I knocked this bad boy down much like Adam on Man V Food did) but it was the best atmosphere ever. Located on a pathway between the ocean and the sound in Sarasota, we ate outside in the tropics while dolphins were swimming all around. 24 hours prior I was at my desk at work in cold Wisconsin, so it made me really feel like I was on vacation.
Now on to the rest.

Top Man V Food locations of 2009:
1. Jack-N-Grill Denver, CO (best of 2009, see above!)
2. Old Salty Dog, Sarasota, FL (see photo and write-up above)
3. Cherry Cricket, Denver, CO (see photo and write-up above)
4. Primanti Bros, Pittsburgh, PA (Fries in the sandwich!)
5. Deluca’s, Pittsburgh, PA - Best traditional breakfast I've ever had. I am not a huge breakfast guy but I do enjoy a good one when I can!
6. Iron Barley, St Louis, MO - The prime rib was good (especially the burnt ends) but the pork was just ok. 7. Al’s Italian Beef, Chicago, IL (some friends we are making Kyle stand-up to eat after he ran 16 miles and numerous obstacles, oh well!) Food was decent, pricey and selection was lame.
8. Quaker Steak and Lube (this was featured in the Pitt episode but I went to the one in Middleton, WI. It would be ranked higher but I felt it a bit lame they visited a national chain for a challenge, but I do really like QS&L.)


Better late than never- Our Waffle House visit waited until December 7th off of I-4 in Florida at the Haines City exit. Waffle House didn't dissappoint!


Comeback of the year: This was a year of eating at favorites and this was tough to come up with. Then I remember a lunch invitation to a place I deemed as not only overrated but also I felt it was just bad. But I perused the menu to find some things I liked online and I just didn’t want to miss a lunch with the fellas. Tex Tubbs Taco Palace. Once I discovered the variety they had I was sold, and the food matched the expectations. My thoughts? Not great for traditional Mexican food, just get some fun assorted tacos.

Worst food of the year: I tried Maid Rite which is a Midwest chain of loose meat sandwiches that was even figured as a top 100 burger in Hamburger America. Awful. Bland and a weird texture. Pricey. And I threw it up. Worst food of the last few years. Sorry, no pictures available. Honroable mention: Subway, Perkins

Most unique dining experience: Casa Bonita. I finally went and it was everything I dreamed and more! It was so cheesy it was awesome! While my return is doubtful (there is only one 1st time) if you've never been, go! For those who have no idea what I am talking about, click here!
Dotty's still is the best food in Madison, hands-down. Can't get any better than a melting pot burger and cheese curds.
The Great Dane Brew Pub had a BBQ Chipotle Meatloaf grinder for a limited time. I really wish they'd bring it back, it was one of the best food items in town. Meatloaf smothered in cheese and jalepeno mashed potoatoes with fried onion straws and chipotle BBQ sauce on a toasted roll? Awesome! The second best thing I had at a Brew Pub was at the Dillon Dam Brewery. The smothered chicken plate hit the spot on a trip filled with burritos, pizza, burgers and nachos. A little spinach for some Popeye power! It's even Kyle approved.
Declining restaurants: Subway, Checkers, Arbys, Tim Hortons

(While 2009 was supposed to be the year of the $5 footlong, in Breckenridge they were $6 and in the Bahamas, $7!)
Rising restaurants: McDonalds, Nitty Gritty, Taco Bell, BW3

Best new Madison Chain: BD’s Mongolian Grill - make your own stir-fry with whatever sauce you wanted! BBQ sauce with pasta, beans asparagus, meatballs, steak and sausage? No problem!
Madison got ripped off. We got a Five Guys burgers. Very ordinary and you almost pay restaurant prices for counter service. Colorado has Smashburger. Imagine being able to drive thru and getting a burger better than anything in Madison that isn't Dotty's. Smashburger is the ticket!
We went on a cruise in February but I have no way of classifing cruise food into my best of 2009. That being said, I loved most of the cruise food, drinks and desserts and can't wait to go back again as soon as we are able! Here is a typical Carnival Cruise meal.

Best Ball Park Food- The Iowa Cub footlong hotdog. While I am sure I enjoyed a helmet of cheesy fries at the Brewers game much more often, a classic and inexpensive footlong hot dog on a perfect night of baseball hit the spot! :)Best food in Bedford: For 4 weeks of my 2009 I ate every meal in a restaurant in and around Bedford, PA. And many of those were eaten at the Green Harvest and Jean Bonnet. Which by the way are both awesome! Green Harvest was on pace to be a contendor for food of the year but I burned out on it. The best in Bedford is actually 10 miles north at a place called Slick's Ivy Stone. Home cooking! You get dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls with frosting to start. Then the world's largest soup bowl. Then a home cooked meal (the photo is from chicken and waffle night) but I prefered steak and waffle night even better. Finish it off with some of the best pie I've ever had (Bumbleberry) and it was easy to get to sleep that night! :)You simply have not lived until you take a trip to Daylight Donuts in Breckenridge. Who knew there were locals in Breck? This is where they have breakfast. Reasonable pricing and a local atmosphere puts a little spin on your vacation. Very nice!While coffee could be a blog post altogether, no post would be complete without talking about the Black and Gold Latte. The Pittsburgh Mayorga Coffee Roasters in the airport was my go-to spot for coffee on 7 of the 8 legs I was in Pittsburgh (I didn't know about it on my way in the first time.) By about my 4th stop the girl that worked there knew my order. By the 6th stop she knew my name even. Pretty cool for an airport coffee shop. And the coffee? The black meant dark chocolate and the gold meant caramel. The black and gold represents Steelers fandom. Or deliciousness!

Here are the top 10 restraunts in terms of volume for the past year:

1. McDonalds (48)- It was the year of McCafe for me! I also spent 4 weeks at a hotel without breakfast next to a McDonalds that did.

2. Taco Bell (26)- Once every two weeks seems about right for the Bell.

3. Great Dane Brew Pub (12)- Once a month, seems a populare place for my friends.

4. Qdoba (8)- One of my wife's favorite places (mine too.)

5. (Tie): Arbys, Bandit Burrito, Green Harvest (7)- No suprises here, all excellent!

8. (Tie): BW3, Chilis, Dennys (6)- Only hit Denny's for breakfast. BW3s is new to our neighborhood. Chilis is down, not sure why though.

Stories to watch in 2010:

-McDonalds now has a dollar menu for breakfast including my two favorite breakfast items (Sausage McMuffin and Fruit & Yogurt Parfet) but I am burnt out a bit on McCafe so the number is certain to slide down from 2009.

-We are expecting our first baby in February which will definitely change how and where we eat.

-We have no trips planned right now which could jeopardize eating at any of my 2009 Best-Of locations.

-BW3 and Papa Murphys are now in our neighborhood. Both seem like good options in 2010.

That's all I've got, my 2010 Year In Food! Please comment on what you like, what you don't and where I should try in 2010.

4 comments:

  1. Is this the first year for something from the Dane?

    We took K1 out to eat before he was 2 weeks old; don't let the little one slow you down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy SHit that was a huge, and AWESOME post!!! Man I miss waffle house, all the greassy cheesy goodness one man can handle. I'm upset I still haven't tried Dotty's. I think you'll like Papa Murphy's. I'm a big fan of the Gourment Vegetarian. Keep the posts coming

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of you're posts and eating habits, The Cowboy from Papa Murphies is my favorite pizza, the option to touch it up before the oven is a nice perk.

    -RIZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Eater of Food, I can't believe you don't weigh 400 pounds. I'm sorry you got burned out on Green Harvest! If you (and your wife) are ever in Bedford again give me a heads up and I will cook dinner for you at our house!
    -Kim Foreman, Owner The Green Harvest Co.

    ReplyDelete